As Marty Mcfly and Doc Brown predicted, technology has evolved…
And so has LinkedIn!
5 years ago, many still considered LinkedIn as just a job hunting tool. The minute they started thinking about changing jobs, they thought, “Oh man, I better get my LinkedIn profile in gear!” Well, times have changed.
Not only have many LinkedIn technical features evolved, so has the way we approach LinkedIn and use it as a business tool! Whether you’re in HR, Sales, Marketing, Finance, etc, being present and active on LinkedIn is beneficial for you and your job performance! Here are 3 features which have changed over the last 5 years that help your profile go from CV to business tool…
- More fine-tuned algorithms means that LinkedIn can provide improved assistance. The more you strategically use LinkedIn and “train” your algorithms, the more Linked will help you to achieve your business goals. For example, LinkedIn will:
-Let you know when your profile needs more information, helping you to boost visibility.
-Suggest contacts who could help you with a project.
-Recommend articles and Influencers on Pulse or groups and companies to follow, all of which could improve your business intelligence, provide new inspiration, and meet key members of your sector!
- More and better metrics! LinkedIn dashboards are better than ever before, giving us more detailed information about who has viewed our profile, how we rank, and how we can do better… So when the boss asks about the ROI, with these new dashboards, you’ll be able to give concrete answers!
- More sharing! Thanks to all the cool gadgets in the Summary and Experience sections of your profile, you can now turn your profile into an interactive business tool! By adding examples of your projects, company websites, social media sites, videos, etc, you can inform your visitors and provide value to your ecosystem, boost visibility, and open doors!
And what about the future?*
1. Connect LinkedIn and Google glass: you’re at a conference, you look at someone. In the corner of your Google glass, their profile pops up. You quickly dictate a personalized message and, bam, they receive it and, two seconds later, the two of you meet!
2. Facial recognition on your LinkedIn mobile app: you go to a tradeshow, you want to know who is in front of you. You take a picture of the person, pop it into the “Search” function, and bam, the person’s profile comes up!
3. More metrics, metrics, metrics!
Please LinkedIn, let us see who is viewing our shares!
So, if you still think LinkedIn is just for job hunting, please step into Doc Brown’s DeLorean and visit us in 2015 🙂
*Please note these are not real LinkedIn functions, we just had some fun thinking of new LinkedIn gadgets that we’d like to see one day! 🙂